MATH 340 - DISCRETE STRUCTURES II.
|Room 1116, Burnside
|Wednesday, 1:30-3:30 PM and
|sergey.norin [at] mcgill.ca
||Wednesday, Friday 11:35 AM -12:55 PM.
- Graph theory: Matchings, planar graphs, graph coloring.
- Discrete probability: conditional
probability, expectation, Chernoff bounds.
- Enumeration: bijections and the generating function method.
A provisional list of lectures as well as additional course notes and references can be found here
The prerequisite is MATH 240 or MATH 235.
There is no required text. Suggested textbooks, which cover parts of the material, are:
- Invitation to Discrete Mathematics by J. Matousek and J. Nesetril.
- Introduction to Graph Theory by D. West.
- Discrete Mathematics and its Applications by K. Rosen.
- Proofs from The Book by M. Aigner and G. Ziegler.
- Generatingfunctionology by H. Wilf.
- Discrete Mathematics: Elementary and Beyond by L. Lovasz, J. Pelikan, and K. Vesztergombi.
Course grades will be based upon
assignments (20%), midterm (20%), and a final exam (60%) - or
assignments (20%) and final exam (80%) if this leads to a better