189-265B: Advanced Calculus
- D. Jakobson (Section 01, TTh 10-11:30, ENGMD 280)
Office Hours: Mon 13:00-14:00, Wed 10:30-11:30, or by appointment
Web Page: www.math.mcgill.ca/jakobson
- S.H. Wang (Section 02, TTH 10-11:30, ENGMD 279)
Office: BH 1131
Office Hours: Tue, Thur 11:45-12:45
- M. Wong (Section 03, TTH 10-11:30, ENGMD 276)
Office: BH 1243
Office Hours: Tue 11:30 - 12:30, Wed 13:00 - 14:00
- UNDERGRADUATE STUDENT ASSISTANTS:
- Albert Kim (Section 1: Tues 12:30-13:30, ENGMC 122)
- Martin Laforest (Section 2: Thurs 13:30-14:30, ENGMC 122)
- Bhavin Shastri (Section 3: Mon 13:30-14:30, ENGMC 122)
- Kasim Tirmizey (Section 4: Wed 12:30-13:30, WONG 1050) - NOTE TIME
AND ROOM CHANGE!
- Costas Constantinides (Section 5: Fri 13:30-14:30, ENGMC 122)
- TUTORIALS: One hour per week.
- Tutorials start during the SECOND week of classes
- TEXT: Online COURSE PAK available at
- Books on reserve in Schulich (formerly PSEG) library:
- J. Marsden and A. Tromba, "Vector Calculus."
- K. Pao, "Study guide for Marsden and Tromba's Vector calculus."
- R. Aadams, "Calculus of several variables."
- J. Stewart, "Multivariable calculus."
- SYLLABUS: Implicit functions, constrained and unconstrained
extrema for functions of several variables. Change of variables
in multiple integrals, Jacobians, surface integrals. Scalar and
vector fields, line integrals, vector operators. Green's Theorem,
Divergence Theorem and Stokes' Theorem, applications to heat flow,
electrostatics and fluid flow.
- ASSIGNMENTS: There will be five assignments. They
are due on January 29, February 12, March 8, April 2 (NEW DUE DATE!)
and April 12, respectively.
- MIDTERM: There will be a midterm which will be held
in class on Thursday, March 14.
- MIDTERM SOLUTIONS: (pdf form)
- Review: In preparation for the midterm, there will be a
review session on Tuesday, March 12, from 5pm-7pm in Burnside 1205.
- Math help center is open in Burnside 911 from 12:30-4pm (???),
Monday-Friday (check Burnside 911 for the exact schedule).
- FINAL EXAM: There will be a three hour final exam
on APRIL 18 at 2PM in McDonald and McConnell buildings
- GRADING: If A = assignment mark, M = midterm mark,
E = exam mark and F = final mark (all out of 100), then F is the
larger of E and .1A+ .25M + .65E.