189-261A: Differential Equations
- D. Jakobson (Section 01, TTh 8:30-10:00, ENGMC 304)
Office Hours: TW, 10:00-11:00
Web Page: www.math.mcgill.ca/jakobson
- J.J. Xu (Section 02, TTh 8:30-10:00, ENGMC 204)
Office: BH 1247
Office Hours: MW 11:00-12:00
Web Page: www.math.mcgill.ca/xu
- UNDERGRADUATE STUDENT ASSISTANTS:
Obaid Waheed Malik (M, 11:35-12:25, ENGMC 122)
Ahmed Usman Khalid (W, 11:35-12:25, ENGMD 279)
Andree Robichaud-Veronneau (M, 12:35-13:25, ENGMC 122)
Stephen Cohen (T, 13:05-13:55, WONG 1030)
- TUTORIALS start during the SECOND week of classes
- TEXT: Differential Equations and Boundary
Value Problems (3rd ed.) by Nagle, Saff and Snider.
- SYLLABUS: First and second order equations, linear
equations, introduction to systems of differential equations,
applications, series solutions, elementary numerical methods,
Laplace Transforms. Text: Chapters 1-8
- ASSIGNMENTS: There will
be 8 assignments; the first four will be webwork assignments, the
last four will be regular, "pen and paper" asignments.
- MIDTERM: There will an in-class midterm on October 24.
It will be held at the same time and place as the regular lecture.
Solutions in ps and
- FINAL EXAM: There will be a three
hour final exam. It is tentatively scheduled for December 10.
- REVIEW FOR THE FINAL will be conducted by Steve Cohen on
Monday, December 9, from 6:00pm to 9:00pm, in Burnside 920.
- OLD FINALS: Go to
SUMS, then click on "Resources" and on "Math Exam Archive."
- GRADING: If A = assignment mark, M = midterm mark,
E = exam mark and F = final mark (all out of 100), then F is the
larger of .85E + .15A
and .6E + .25M + .15A
- All final grades have been entered on banner. You can look up
your scores on webct (best percent, out of 100). The letter grade follows
the usual McGill convention. The mean score is 79.9, the meadian is 85.1
- LECTURE NOTES: available at
- Math help center is open in Burnside 911 from 12:30-4pm (???),
Monday-Friday (check Burnside 911 for the exact schedule).