Hydrodynamic stability, nonlinear waves in geophysical fluid dynamics and in vortices; resonant wave interactions in boundary layers and in geophysical fluid dynamics; aeroacoustics and numerical methods for solving partial differential equations arising in the foregoing research areas. Also, some interest in the PDE approach to mathematical finance.
Recent Journal Articles
Maslowe, S.A., Benney, D.J. and Mahoney, D.J., "Wave Packet Critical Layers in Shear Flows ", Stud. Appl. Math. 91, 1-16 (1994)
Mallier, R. and Maslowe, S.A., "Fully Coupled Resonant-Triad Interactions in a Free Shear Layer ", J. Fluid Mech. 278, 101-121 (1994
Finlay, W.H., Liu, Chonghui and Maslowe, S.A., "The Nonlinear Critical-Wall Layer in a Parallel Shear Flow ", Stud. Appl. Math. 94, 41-55 (1995)
Maslowe, S.A., "Wave Packet Critical Layers in Stratified Shear Flows ", Dyn. Atmos. & Oceans, 23, 115-123 (1996)
Campbell, L.J. and Maslowe, S.A., "Forced Rossby Wave Packets in Barotropic Shear Flows with Critical Layers ", Dyn. Atmos. & Oceans 28, 9-37 (1998)
Liu, Chonghui and Maslowe, S.A., "A Numerical Investigation of Resonant Interactions in Adverse Pressure Gradient Boundary Layers ", J. Fluid Mech. 378, 269-289 (1999)
Mallier, R. and Maslowe, S.A., "Weakly Nonlinear Evolution of a Wave Packet in a Zonal Mixing Layer ", Stud. Appl. Math. 102, 69-85 (1999) Choboter, P.F., Brunet, G. & Maslowe,S.A., "Forced Disturbances in a Zero Absolute Vorticity Gradient Environment ", J. Atmos. Sci. 57, 1406-1419 (2000)
Campbell,L.J. and Maslowe, S.A., "A Nonlinear Numerical Simulation of the Critical Layer Evolution for a Forced Rossby Wave Packet in a Zonal Shear Flow ", Mathematics and Computers in Simulation 55, 365-375 (2001)
Publications in Books
"Shear Flow Instabilities and Transition ", Chapter 7 (pp. 181.228) in Hydrodynamic Instabilities and the Transition to Turbulence (H.L. Swinney and J.P. Gollub, Eds.), Springer.Verlag (1981).
"Critical Layers in Shear Flows ", Ann. Rev. Fluid Mech. 18, 405.432 (1986).
"Waves in Shear Flows ", (pp. 347.363) in Continuum Mechanics and Its Applications (G.A. Graham and S.K. Malik, Eds.), Hemisphere Publishing Corp. (1989).
Moreau, R.J., Pigny, S.L. and Maslowe, S.A., "Amplitude Evolution of Interfacial Waves in Aluminum Reduction Cells " in Liquid Metal Magnetohydrodynamics (J. Lielpeteris and R. Moreau, eds.; Kluwer Academic Publishers) 197-204 (1989).
Moreau, R.J., Pigny, S.L. and Maslowe, S.A., "Interfacial Instabilities and Waves in the Presence of a Transverse Electric Current " in New Trends in Nonlinear Dynamics and Pattern Forming Phenomena: The Geometry of Nonequilibrium (P. Coullet and P. Huerre, eds.; Plenum Press). (p. 95-102)
Busse, F.H., Gollub, J.P., Maslowe, S.A. and Swinney, H.L., "Recent Progress ", Chapter 10, 2nd edition of Hydrodynamic Instabilites and the Transition to Turbulence (ed. H.L. Swinney and J.P. Gollub; Berlin, Springer) 289-302 (1985).
Honours & Awards
- SIAM Visiting Lecturer 1975-76, 1976.77
- J.S. Guggenheim Fellow, 1978-79 visiting Imperial College and University College London
- Professeur Associé, Chercheur Associé at CNRS and Professeur Invité, Institut National Polytechnique de Grenoble, 1986-87
- Cecil H. and Ida M. Green Scholar at the Institute of Geophysics and Planetary Physics, University of California, San Diego, 1994
- Russell Severance Springer Visiting Professor at the University of California, Berkeley, April-May 1999
- P. Balagondar, M.Sc. completed in 1981 (Finite Amplitude Waves in a Model Boundary Layer)
- G. Deblonde, M.Sc. completed in 1981 (Instabilité Barotrope du Jet de Bickley)
- D. Collins, Ph.D. completed in 1982 (A Numerical Study of the Stability of a Stratified Mixing Layer)
- S. Melkonian, Ph.D. completed in 1987 (Nonlinear Waves on Thin Films and Related Phenomena
- Patricia Leung, M.Sc. completed in 1992 (Weakly Nonlinear Stability Theory of the Bickley Jet)
- Lucy Campbell, M.Sc. completed in 1996 (Forced Rossby Wave Packets in a Zonal Shear Flow in the Presence of Critical Layers); Ph.D. completed in 2000 (Nonlinear Critical Layer Development of Forced Wave Packets in Geophysical Shear Flows)
- Chonghui Liu, Ph.D. completed in 1997 (A Numerical Investigation of Resonant Interactions in Adverse Pressure Gradient Boundary Layers)
- Paul Choboter, M.Sc. completed in 1997 (Forced Rossby Waves in a Zero Absolute Vorticity Gradient Environment)
- 189-651 Asymptotic Approximations and Perturbation Methods
- 189-653 Special Topics in Fluid Dynamics; Mathematical Methods of Geophysical Fluid Dynamics
- 189-586 Advanced Boundary and Initial Value Problems
- 189-325 Ordinary Differential Equations
- 189-381 Complex Variables
- 189-224 Linear Algebra