189-346B/377B: Number Theory
- INSTRUCTOR: Professor J. Labute -- BH 1112, Office Hours: MWF
- TEXT: I. Niven, H. Zuckerman, H. Montgomery, The Theory of Numbers.
- SYLLABUS: Divisibility. Congruences and quadratic reciprocity.
Diophantine equations and quadratic forms. Arithmetic functions. Continued
- PROJECT: 377B students will be required to do an approved
- ASSIGNMENTS: There will be bi-weekly assignments.
- MIDTERM TEST: There will be one class test which will be held
the week of February 12th.
- FINAL EXAM: There will be a three hour final exam; calculators
will be allowed.
- GRADING: If A = assignment mark, T = test mark, E = exam mark,
P = special project mark and F = final mark (all out of 100), then
for 346B students F is the larger of E and .1A + .2T + .7E and for
377B students F is the larger of .2P+.8E and
.1A +.2T + .2P +.5E