189-265A: Advanced Calculus
- Professor J. Labute (Section 01, TTh 10-11:30, RPHYS 112)
Office Hours: TTh 13:00-14:30
Web Page: www.math.mcgill.ca/labute
- Professor N. Kamran (Section 02, TTH 10-11:30, ENGMD 280)
Office Hours: TTh 15:00-16:00
Web Page: www.math.mcgill.ca/nkamran
- UNDERGRADUATE STUDENT ASSISTANTS:
- Salman Zafar (Section 1, T 12:00 ENGMC 122)
- Mohammed Alameer (Section 2, M 12:30 ENGMC 213)
- Kazim Tirmizey (Section 3, T 13:00 ENGMC 122)
- TEXT: Online COURSE PAK available at www.math.mcgill.ca/labute.
- SYLLABUS: Implicit functions, constrained and unconstrained extrema for functions of several variables. Change of variables in multiple integrals, Jacobians, surface integrals. Scalar and vector fields, line integrals, vector operators. Green's Theorem, Divergence Theorem and Stokes' Theorem, applications to heat flow, electrostatics and fluid flow.
- TUTORIALS: One hour per week.
- ASSIGNMENTS: There will be biweekly assignments.
- CLASS TEST: There will be a class test which will be held in class on Thursday Otober 25.
- FINAL EXAM: There will be a three hour final exam; no calculators will be allowed.
- GRADING: If A = assignment mark, M = midterm mark,
E = exam mark and F = final mark (all out of 100), then F is the larger of E and .1A+ .2M + .7E.